Monday, June 25, 2012

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder!

A,academic,alphabets,hand symbols,letters,sign language,signings 

A is For "Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder"

Well, looks like "a day or two" break from blogging turned into a "month or two".  That's what happens to high hopes when they're tossed into the "activities vortex" that is comprised of the months May and June!  We've had recitals (3, with 3 dress rehearsals), concerts (3, with one dress rehearsal), author's teas, project fairs, field days (3, if you include the one at the school where I'm a teacher), report cards (20- where I'm told I write far too much- but hey, parents appreciate good feedback, right???), softball games and practices (approximately 5 bajillion), soccer games and practices (only one bajillion- soccer kid younger than softball kid), fencing lessons (VERY cool new endeavor), and creating approximately 45 Mother's Day and Father's Day gifts (that's a combined total for my class and my personal kids). Could hardly put a cohesive thought together for speaking, never mind writing!

So, now you know I haven't been laying on the sofa eating chocolate, drinking wine, and smoking cigarettes while watching reality television instead of trying to be a disciplined writer (well, to be 100% truthful, I did manage to drink wine, eat chocolate, and watch a little of reality TV during the vortex...but no cigarettes ;-)!

I plan on cruising through the alphabet again this summer, with a new letter every couple of days.  I've noticed that the summertime attitude/schedule/extended daylight often frees up spaces in our minds for new ideas and perspectives.  I hope you'll join me as I explore some of them and how they relate to building a strong learning foundation for our children!



A is for "Avon Free Public Library"

 "Hi!" This is Jennifer's daughter, and I'm 11. Over the summer we decided it would be great to go all over the state of Connecticut and discover different libraries. We loved the idea because of our craving for books and the fact that our house is not air conditioned also played a role in our decision!! ;) I thought it would be interesting to do it in ABC order and blog it by adding on to my Mom's blog. So today after my brother's swimming lesson, we traveled to Avon for an hour or so and visited the Avon Free Public Library.
We pulled into the parking lot and gasped at the beautiful library in front of us. We walked inside and found ourselves in front of a table with a map of the library (very useful) and a brochure called the Library Times. I thought it was a clever idea and I looked inside and found that the library had just been rededicated at the beginning of June after being renovated for about 15 months. I have to say it's amazing inside and the whole upstairs is devoted to children. They even have a special room just for teens. We checked it out and talked to the librarians about what we were doing. They were very nice and suggested we blog about it. We sat down, looked at some books, and decided which programs we wanted to check out. I have always wanted to have a craft sale and my Mom found one for kids and by kids that will be happening at this library in August. Also for summer reading at this library, for every 5 books you read a $1 donation will be given to the Make a Wish Foundation. We thought that was a great idea something every library should take part in. The Make a Wish Foundation would earn so much money especially because there are so many children that enjoy reading. Our trip to Avon was so much fun and I can't wait to check out "B" (the Blackstone Library in Branford) tomorrow.


Check out the cool chair we found in the Teen Room!



1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love the A to Z library posts! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete