Saturday, March 17, 2012


O.k., so two of the dentist appointments and the Pinewood Derby are out of the way, and by tonight two of the birthdays will have been celebrated, so I'll have fewer items in my arsenal of "potential scapegoats for procrastination"!  I've come up with a strategy (I think) that will given some structure to my plan for quality, timely posts during the A-Z challenge...

The topic of "careers" has been the social studies focus for my students over the past couple of weeks.  Each student has chosen a career to research, and for which they'll build a shoebox diorama.  To encourage the students to think more deeply about their chosen careers, I had them complete an "AlphaBoxes" worksheet.  This strategy, developed by Linda Hoyt , is a grid with a box for each letter of the alphabet.  Students are asked to come up with a word beginning with each letter of the alphabet, that relates to the assigned topic.  For example, a student who has chosen to research the career of a zoologist might come up with "A" for "animals", "B" for "biology", "C" for "cage", "E"for "exploration", etc.  Click on the "AlphaBoxes" link above for access to a blank document.

The AlphaBox strategy is what I've started using to plan for my 26 posts (hey, if I expect a second grader to do it, I'd better be able to demonstrate my own proficiency, right?;-).  So far, I have "A" set in stone, and possibilities for about 6 other letters.  Tonight's goal is to have the chart completed.  I think, since it's about parenting, I'll float it by my students on Monday to hear their take on it.  Seven year-olds are uniquely gifted in "keeping it real"; they'll call it like they see it and surely provide some great feedback for me!


In the meantime, I want to leave you with a recommendation for an amazing read-aloud for your own families/classrooms.   This is one that's fresh on my mind because I just finished it with my class on Friday.
Masterpiece, by Elise Broach is outstanding!!!  I read many fantastic books aloud to my class every year, and this is in my top three.  It holds its title by virtue of its potential for meaningful discussions about friendship, ethics, and consequences.  The illustrations are amazing, and the opportunity to build background knowledge about museums and art history is a priceless bonus. I discovered this book for the first time shortly after its release when it was a bookseller recommendation at my favorite bookstore, R.J.Julia.  I devoured it, and for the first time in my life, marked up the margins with potential questions for my students, circled vocabulary words, and dogeared many pages!  I highly recommend it for families to share together.  It's a great way to model the importance of reading, and a natural segue into some meaningful conversations about issues relating to relationships and good character.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!


No comments:

Post a Comment