Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for LIST of a DOZEN GREAT TOYS FOR ELEMENTARY KIDS

L is for LIST OF A DOZEN GREAT TOYS FOR ELEMENTARY KIDS

I LOVE LISTS!  I make them for everything- things to do, things to buy, things I love, and things I loathe.  I had such a difficult time deciding what sort of list to create for today.  I have so many favorites, I betcha I could do an A-Z blog of just lists (hey...there's an idea for a next phase!  Blogtastic!).  

For today, I settled on creating a list of mostly "open-ended" toys (that can be used in a variety of ways) my kids have loved in their elementary school years (my daughter has recently moved on to middle school, but she still really digs a lot of this stuff.  Promise not to tell her I let her secret out, o.k.?).  Since today is "L" day, and the 12th letter of the alphabet, I decided to go with a "Top Dozen" list, rather than a "Top 10"- consider the extra two as freebies!  They're in no particular order...


1.      LEGOS   Lego toys are a huge favorite of both of my kids.  They've built everything from Atlantis, Space Police, to every building of the Harry Potter sets.  They LOVE them.  Both kids also use them to create their own designs, with vehicles and buildings being some favorite creations.  I spent about 2 hours this week collecting Legos from under the rug, under the sofa, and under bookcases.  There's a reason these have been popular since the 1940's- they allow kids to build whatever they can imagine- if they can dream it, they can build it!

2.   PLAYMOBIL  Playmobil toys have been a household favorite since my kids passed the "choking hazard" age. My daughter has loved the houses, castles, and fairy sets, while my son has gravitated towards the police, rescue, pirate, and knight sets.  These are VERY high quality toys and they're practically unbreakable.  Since they're made so well, they practically last forever, making it likely that you'll be able to find these in consignment shops in great shape! They can be used in conjunction with Magnatiles (those are below) and with blocks. These are also fabulous for the kiddie pool, the bathtub, and the beach (they're great in sand castles!).  These also tuck easily into mom's purse or a child's backpack, and can be pulled out when waiting in lines or when your child needs to patiently (and quietly) wait for you to attend to some business.  This is one toy that makes me wish I was a kid again- this would be a favorite!


3.    BLANK CARDS AND COLORED PENCILS I like these so much, that I even bought a set for myself!  The kids create invitations, thank you notes, and birthday cards with these.   They also love using the colored pencils with their fashion and car design portfolio/template sets.  Marker can make a smudgy mess or go through the paper, and crayons can have tips that are too think for fine lines.  Colored pencils allow mistakes to be erased and a non-toxic, smudge-less finish!  I shy away from that "Color wonder" stuff- art is supposed to be a little messy- their stuff is just weird to me...

4.   ARCHIQUEST BLOCKS    These blocks are totally cool!  They come with a book that describes the architectural features of the various world styles in the set.  No, my kids haven't given the book a minute's attention- but I have and it's terrific ;-)!  They have used the blocks with their basic wooden unit blocks, to enhance their structures and make them a bit more sophisticated.  Don't let this one's "toy" status fool you- there's a lot of learning potential here!       

 
 
5.  STARE, Jr.   I LOVE this game!  Players draw a card that shows a detailed image on one side, and has a series of questions about the image on the other.  They are allowed to look at the image and attend to the various details until the timer runs out. Then, they roll a die, and the number that comes up determines which question they  must answer about the image.  The challenge here is for kids to slow themselves down enough to note specific details about the picture they're viewing.  This is VERY hard for many children.  They're bombarded by so many images each day, that they grow very passive, and only "skim" what they're seeing. This "slowing down and noticing details" is a skill that comes in very handy when kids are reading! This game requires an eye for detail and is lots of fun.  If you get lucky, you might find one in a consignment shop like I did!

6. SUPERHERO CAPE & MASK  Do you remember running around your back yard with a towel safety-pinned around your neck, pretending to be a superhero?  Capes are a blast for children, and my kids have been superheroes, villains, and wizards with theirs!  This "toy-ish" item can also include other items for dress up such as fairy wings, hats, and old Halloween or dance costumes.  These new generation capes fasten with Velcro which is a little safer than the old school "diaper pin" :-).


7.A FUN SERIES TO READ ALOUD My son and I discovered the Accidental Adventure books while he was recovering from eye surgery in California last summer. He had to spend a lot of time with ice packs on his eyes, so we passed the time by reading aloud.  These books are irreverent, funny, and action-packed. There's no "Charlotte's Web" classic-style story here.  It's modern day fun.  The author, C.Alexander London seems like a great guy- he responded to my son's e-mail questions in less than 24 hours, and his answers were thorough and sincere.  There are currently 2 books in the series, with a third scheduled for release this June- we can't wait!  By the way, a shout out to my favorite SoCal bookstore, Warwick's, where we accidentally discovered the Accidental Adventures!

8.AGE APPROPRIATE DOLLS  I have to admit, the American Girl dolls were something I initially avoided.  The cost made my head spin, and I have a hard time with things designed for children that end up leaning towards elitist, by virtue of their cost. ( I've taught MANY little girls in the past who will never have one of these dolls- that really, really bothers me.)  I've gotta tell you, though, that the quality is worth it, and the fact that my daughter played with dolls until the 5th grade (and still pulls them out occasionally- shhh!  Don't tell her I told you!) is PRICELESS!  We scored lots of clothes at consignment shops, and for years, friends and family loved this gift-giving avenue for my daughter.  As an educator, I continue to be impressed by the historical dolls and the series of books that accompany them.  My daughter read them all during her 2nd and 3rd grade years and loved them!  Now that she's outgrown them, the books reside in my classroom where many children can enjoy them!


9.  SPY GEAR Both of my children LOVE spy gear of any kind.  Over the years, we've assembled quite an assortment of glasses that allow you to see behind you, recording devices, "bugs", fake mustaches, mysterious dossiers, invisible ink, walkie-talkie watches, and brief cases.  The interest in spy gear is one that many of our friends' children cultivate as well, so we've had loads of spy-centric play dates!  What's great about spy gear is that no matter how much or how little you own, you can add to it with stuff you already have- old clothes and accessories for disguises, stationery supplies for "headquarters", old cell phones (remove the batteries)- can all enhance the fun!  

10. MAGNATILES   These are probably my most favorite on the list. My kids love these SO much, that Santa brought the 100 piece set 2 years in a row, because they use so many!   Magnatiles have been built into space ships (they hold Playmobil people and Lego minifigures very well!), buildings, headquarters, launch pads- you name it!  I've brought them to school to teach the construction of 3 dimensional shapes using 2 dimensional faces.  These are incredibly durable, and they're the first thing my kids pack when they head to their grandparents' house for an overnight.  These are pretty pricey, but in this case, you really do get what you pay for. We actually combine these with "Magnetics" sets, too. It doesn't get more "open-ended" than this in the building arena!

11. BUG VIEWERS: Having a son who is visually impaired (more on this in my upcoming "N" post) makes me gravitate towards anything that magnifies.  I also appreciate anything that lets me view creepy things without actually touching them.  These bug viewers do the trick!  We've used them in the yard, in the woods, and at the beach, and we've watched everything from grubs to hermit crabs to ladybugs.  These are the perfect size for small hands, and they're super-portable to- easy to carry on that walk to the park- fits right in the purse!

12. MATCHBOX/HOT WHEELS CARS: I don't need to tell you about the awesomeness of these classics for boys and girls!  Indoors or out, these work with blocks, dirt piles, Legos, anything!  Their portability and affordability make them real favorites!  Like the Playmobil stuff, these can go in your purse and be pulled out whenever you need to wait for anything, anywhere!

This list is FAR from complete!  I tried to come up with some of our family favorites that are mostly open ended, eschew stereotypes, and come at a variety of price points.  I'm going to have to do more on books and family games sometime...I'm itching to share more on both of these!  What are your kids' favorite toys? 



7 comments:

  1. Great list. Since I work with kids, I'm always looking for new ideas for toys.

    Stopping by from the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback- I hope some of these ideas are useful for you :-)!

      Delete
  2. Love using the deaf alphabet, Great toy choices. I hadn't heard of the Archiquest blocks or the Magnatiles, but they look great. No more kids here, but we had bins full of Playmobil. We stretched the budget one year to get the pirate ship, and small visitors to our house still play with it. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My alphabet blog is at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your ideas for toys. I found a couple that my little guy will really like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Amy! Please let me know how he likes them :-)!

      Delete