Saturday, April 28, 2012

X is for EXTREME ADMIRATION

 X is for EXTREME ADMIRATION


Meet Avery Lynn Canahuati.  She'a almost 5 months old.

You may recognize her from your internet homepage, because her blog has recently blown up the blogosphere with hundreds of thousands of views! Avery was born on 11-11-11, and on Good Friday (the worst possible irony), her mom and dad received the news that she has a rare genetic disorder called "Spinal Muscular Atrophy".  Avery's prognosis is grim; most children with SMA die before they reach 18 months old.

"Extreme Admiration", the title of today's post, refers to the feelings I have for Avery's mom and dad, Laura and Mike Canahuati of Houston, Texas.  They have decided to make the absolute most of Avery's short time here, and have started a Blogger Blog of their own called "Avery's Bucket List".  Their goal is to dramatically increase awareness of SMA and pre-pregnancy genetic testing for couples considering having a child.   The "Bucket List" they've created for Avery is fabulous, and at only 5 months old, here's some of what she's accomplished:

Items I Can Scratch Off My Bucket List:
1. Wake up smiling 
2. Have a bad hair day
3. Ride in an ambulance
4. Get picked up by a fireman
5. Meet a fan
6. Talk to mommy & daddy
7. Eat a cupcake & a Blow Pop
8. Play with Play-Dough
9. Play a practical joke on someone
MORE Items I Can Scratch Off My Bucket List:
1. Make an impact on a doctor to mention SMA to his patients.
2. Wear a big bow on my head
3. Party like a Rock Star
4. Get a sponge bath
5. Redecorate my room
6. Have an SMA Awareness fundraiser thrown for me
Please check out Avery's blog!  Her parents write with humor, hope, and dedication to making their daughter's precious life full of joy and purpose. I am deeply humbled and amazed at their strength.
Please  CLICK HERE to visit Avery's blog; I promise, you'll be glad you did!!!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my word. I didn't hear of this before. I also admire Avery's parents so much now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. They're helping others in the midst of living with their own tragic news, all while giving Avery the best possible experiences each day. They're amazing!

    ReplyDelete