Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for OTHERS' OPINIONS

O is for OTHERS' OPINIONS

These days, everyone has an opinion, and they're all willing to share it with the masses (yep, I realize blogging my opinion on opinions is at best ironic, and at worst redundant ;-).  Think about what happens as soon as you log on to your computer-there are opinions EVERYWHERE, about EVERYTHING.  Folks can comment on who wore which dress best, what they think of the political candidates, which restaurants are the best, which books they like the best...no matter what we're wondering about, there are opinions for us to ponder.

Parenting is an arena where there are loads of opinions to be had, and not just on the internet, either.  What parent hasn't been asked at one point or another if their child is dressed warmly enough, if they've eaten enough (or the proper food), if we're sure what they're doing is safe, whether we really want to let them engage in a particular activity?  At face value these seem like innocent questions; however, if you've ever been on the receiving end of any of them, then you know they're just veiled opinions.  Next time you're asked one of these "questions", pause a moment and check in with your feelings- feeling a little defensive?  Then you've been sneak-attacked by an unsolicited opinion ;-)!

In the right conditions, however, opinions are an amazing resource!  I'm the first person to research the internet for opinions on everything possible before making a decision on just about everything.  The keys on my laptop are beyond tired from all of my "searches"- today my space bar is on strike- refusing to work properly until it's given a decent break!

The opinions I wish to highlight in this post aren't available on Yelp, or Amazon, or Consumer Reports.  The untapped resources I'd like to draw your attention to are  parents who have already been through what we're going through.  I have what I call my "Celebrity Panel" of awesome moms who've "been there".  These are moms who've successfully parented their kids to college age, and are finally starting to exhale a bit, now that their children are enjoying a happy young adulthood.

Most of my "Celebrity Panel" is made up of current and former colleagues whom I admire. They're strong, intelligent, empathetic, and generous with their time and advice.  They're not judgmental, but they're also not afraid to call me out on things that I say or do that might not be thought out so well.  They've driven the road I'm on, and they're able to point out where the bumps are, and suggest alternate routes that they've either tried, or wish they'd tried.

As consumers in a data-driven society, we are constantly looking for proof that we're making the right choices for our investments.  Look around you for parents you admire and trust, who might be just ahead of you on their own parenting journeys. Create your own "Celebrity Panel", and don't be afraid to ask for their opinions when you're working through a murky patch.  Chances are, they'll have some valuable information to share.  It's a "win/win" for everyone- you'll get some insight from someone who has "been there", and you'll be validating your "panelist's"parenting skills- something that doesn't happen often enough!

With gratitude to my "Celebrity Panel": Sue P., Dee, Helenne, Donna, Babs, Anne, Jane, and whomever I might have forgotten (you know I've forgotten someone...otherwise I might not create an awkward situation for myself, and it wouldn't be "Jenn" without an awkward situation, right?;-)- you guys are amazing!!!!

6 comments:

  1. When it all boils down, the most important opinion is our own. Listen to others, then make up your mind. Blog on!

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Francine! It's sometimes getting our own opinions formed that can be tricky, right? In the end, you're right- we trust ourselves!

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Jennifer

      Delete
  2. Hello Jennifer,

    What a great post! I have 2 sons (ages 5 and 8) so I have asked many opinions along the parenting road, and also given a few opinions.

    I think this is my new favorite blog! I will definitely be back to see what you dream up for the other letters, and to read more of your lovely writing. I am following now.

    I am doing the A to Z Challenge as well. Take a peek at my blog too if you get a chance.

    Best,
    MOV
    http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, MOV-

    Thanks for the kind words. I visited your blog and loved it!!! I'm your newest follower; can't wait to read more!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son is 16 now and does his own thing for the most part. He certainly has his "own opinions" and doesn't hesitate to share them!

    I am just starting to take in fosterchildren (again) so I don't hesitate to take anyone's advice. I need all of the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, fellow teacher here! Glad to meet you!

    As teachers we form opinions daily and research is our guide with its colorful cousin, experience.

    My best opinion regarding opinions is not to take the opinion of Dr. Spock. He is in part, maybe more than we'd like to think, for the poor parenting we have today.

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete