Sunday, April 22, 2012

T is for TOP TEN THINGS TEACHERS WISHED YOU KNEW

T is for TOP TEN THINGS TEACHERS WISHED YOU KNEW

DISCLAIMER: I'm not suggesting you don't know these things; I am very aware that with this blog I am most often "preaching to the choir"; however, it's cathartic to put it out there anyway :-).  Oh, and also, these are in no particular order, and I don't mean for them to come across as a rant- sometimes, my words just get way ahead of me ;-).

  1. Contrary to popular belief, most of us are not "getting the summer off".  We are paid a salary that is calculated on a "per diem" basis.  This means that we are paid for 184 days- no more.  When summer comes, either teachers receive no pay at all, or they receive a check that is comprised of money that has been set aside from their paychecks throughout the year. 
  2. Most teachers have graduate degrees, and many even have postgraduate degrees, or a "second Master's".  I'm in the latter group.  In addition, (at least in my state), we have to have 15 hours of continuing education per year.  It's not all crayons, markers, and construction paper.  The job has become extraordinarily data-driven.
  3. Teaching is one of the only professions where you hear people say, "I could've done that if I wanted to.  How hard can it be?" Trust me, just because kids are involved and kids are cute, its not easy- their cuteness is Darwinian camouflage for worthy adversaries ;-).
  4. Since the government can't impose too many controls on parents (for example, check out the bike helmet "law"below)...it holds teachers 100% accountable for students' academic success.                                            Senate Bill No. 597  Public Act No. 97-46

    An Act Requiring Children Fifteen Years of
    Age and Under to Wear Bicycle Helmets

    Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened: Subsection (b) of section 14-286d of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof:
    (b)No child FIFTEEN years of age OR UNDER shall operate a bicycle on the traveled portion of any highway unless such child is wearing protective headgear which conforms to the minimum specifications established by the American National Standards Institute or the Snell Memorial Foundation's Standard for Protective Headgear for Use in Bicycling. Failure to comply with this section shall not be a violation or an offense. Failure to wear protective headgear as required by this subsection shall not be considered to be contributory negligence on the part of the parent or the child nor shall such failure be admissible in any civil action. 
SERIOUSLY??? The part I've placed in bold kills me!  So, it's a law, but if you break it, that's o.k.?  The laws for car seats are worded the same way.  Now I'm not a lawyer, so if I'm reading this wrong, please, please tell me.  I'd actually be happier if I was reading it incorrectly.  It'd make a heck of a lot more sense....

As I was saying in #5, since the government can't hold parents legally accountable for much other than clothing, medical care, shelter, and sending their kids to school, teachers are the ones who are held accountable.  I can have a student come to school who hasn't been to bed before midnight in a week, who has eaten nothing but Cheetos and hotdogs, and who eats these foods alone in his/her room in front of a television while watching something like SAW IV.  Now folks, I am not being extreme here.  At least one student every year (often a few) fit this profile.  Regardless of these factors, this child must excel on a standardized test.  I can recommend that a parent make some changes in the home routine for the benefit of the child's academic progress; however, I can't require it.  Which brings me to #6:

         6.  It varies from town to town and state to state, but in many places, teachers aren't allowed to
         have kids "stay back" without parental permission.  That's the case in the city where I work.  I
         can recommend that a child be retained; however, in the end it is up to the parent, regardless of
         the child's attendance and/or performance.  So, if a parent wants it, a student who hasn't       mastered the skills necessary to succeed in his/her current grade can still be promoted to the next grade.

         7. Chances are, if your child was involved in some sort of minor "tussle" at the elementary
         level, he or she had something to do with it.  Make sure you contact the teacher and get all sides
         of the story before calling the school on a rant.  You may find that you're right- that your child
         did nothing wrong- but at least with this approach, if you're wrong, you'll maintain a great
         rapport with the teacher.

         8. Again, it varies from district to district, but teachers receive a VERY small budget for
         supplies each year.  Our grade level received $200 for the year last year, to be split three ways
         (among the 3 classes).  From this we had to buy paper for the year, and anything else we could
          eek out.  We chose homework folders.  What's that mean?  It means that the markers, colored
          pencils, boxes of 24 crayons, scissors, new books for the classroom, and journals were
          purchased by the teacher.  My situation is my no means unique, and it totals well over $1,000
          per year.  Teachers will do whatever it takes to be sure children have what they need. 
          The average teacher has gone above and beyond for his/her students, buying backpacks,
          mittens, jackets, and even Halloween costumes for kids who have families that can't afford
         them at this time.  This goes on "behind the scenes" each day :-).

         9. Your child's teacher will do anything and everything to keep your child safe, regardless of
         your rapport with the teacher, or your child's behavioral history.  I know I haven't ever taught a
         child for whom I wouldn't put myself in harm's way; I will do everything in my power to keep
         your child safe.

       10.  Teachers are always thinking of their students, no matter where they are!  I can spot a teacher
        from a mile away, even on vacation.  They're the only ones not buying t-shirts- they're the ones
        picking things up saying, "Boy this would be perfect for my unit on ___________!"

Your child's teacher works incredibly hard for the students in his/her class.  We're often up before the sun and in bed very late, researching ideas for lessons, coming up with new strategies to help those struggling with certain concepts, and to challenge those who exceed expectations.  Are there lousy teachers out there?  I'm sure!  There's a lousy version of everything out there!  Luckily, though, in my experience, the "lousy" seem to be the minority.  Get to know your child's teachers.  Ask about their philosophies, and find out what the teacher enjoys about your child.  Once you've learned about these, then continue to build your rapport.  The teacher (again, I speak for myself, but hopefully for many!) isn't out to judge your parenting; instead s/he wants to work with you to help your child grow academically, socially, and emotionally.  When teachers and parents work as a team and start by viewing things from one another's  perspectives, amazing things can happen!:-)





No comments:

Post a Comment